Date:      Wed, 17 Jun 1998 16:49:02 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        fcurrent@jraynard.demon.co.uk, skynyrd@opus.cts.cwu.edu
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cputime limit exceeded

>> > Anyone have a fix for the above?  It seems to happen just after
>> > a "calcru: negative time of -xxxxxxxx usec for pid yyy (zzzz)"
>> > error.

Negative times are now interpreted as huge positive times (of about
580000 years).  Negative times can't happen :-).

>> Hmmm.... make sure you know what login class the processes being killed
>> belong to (see limits(1)) and then hack /etc/login.conf to be more
>> friendly to them.
>
>No, they run as root which has unlimited cputime (that was the first thing
>I checked!).  The reason why I posted was that I remembered some discussion

Root actually has a limit of only about 290 thousand years.  It used to
be about 290 billion years, but conversion from seconds to microseconds
now reduces its range by a factor of 10^6.

Bruce