Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 2001 17:11:41 +0200
From:      Nevermind <never@nevermind.kiev.ua>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: package dependencies

Hello, Peter Pentchev!

On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 04:36:45PM +0200, you wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 04:33:22PM +0200, Nevermind wrote:
> > Dear Sirs,
> >
> > I'm thinking about adding to packages the same functionality as ports do, I
> > mean automatic retrieving all dependencies (pkg_add -r).
> >
> > I mean that we somehow should know what other packages another packages depends
> > on. We could do this by adding <pkg_name>.pkgdep which should contain all
> > dependencies. Also we should be able to have an ability to choose if we want to
> > build required package from port or also download binary package.
> >
> > Just an idea, I'm not a volounteer, but I can help to formulate requirements.
>
> >From the pkg_add(1) manpage:
>
>      -f      Force installation to proceed even if prerequisite packages are
>              not installed or the requirements script fails.  Although pkg_add
>              will still try to find and auto-install missing prerequisite
>              packages, a failure to find one will not be fatal.
>
> Looks like this functionality is already implemented..
Nah, it is not the right one implementation, because it is trying to get
packages exactly as written, I mean I have qt-2.2.3_1 and icqmail-1.2 is
compiled with qt-2.2.3_3, and pkg_add starts downloading qt-2.2.3_3 but I
really don't need it. That is the point. I meant that maybe we should use
makefiles from ports tree to determine what packages is REALLY needed. Also,
I've noted an option for building/not building some of the packages required
from ports tree.

Correct me if I wrong.

--
Alexandr P. Kovalenko	http://nevermind.kiev.ua/