Date:      Thu, 06 Dec 2001 10:47:40 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Ryan Dooley <dooleyr@missouri.edu>
Cc:        mark cole <nectarios@music.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Journalling file systems

> From: Ryan Dooley <dooleyr@missouri.edu>
> Date: 06 Dec 2001 12:36:44 -0600
>
> > At this time FreeBSD does not have a journalling file system. This is
> > largely because softupdates is believed to provide the advantages of
> > journalling file systems without most (all?) of the drawbacks.
>
> > There has been frequent discussion on this list and the stable list of
> > porting any of several free journalling systems to FreeBSD, but I am
> > not aware of any real effort at doing so.
>
> What I want from christmas is to have ''fsck -B" MFC'd from -CURRENT :-)
>
> These 1:30 minute fsck's for a ~900GB partition kill when they have to
> be done?

Yes. One of several nice things in -current. And, if we are very good
little boys and girls, we might get them for Christmas...next year.

I've heard nothing on the possibility of MFCing the background fsck
code before v5, but it would be very nice for many folks. NEWCARD is
at the top of my MFC wish list, but I know it will be a bear to
back-port.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)