Date:      Sat, 12 Jan 2019 10:10:41 -0800
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        Barney Wolff <barney@databus.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable ML <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: USB disks dropping off-line

On Sat, Jan 12, 2019 at 9:12 AM Barney Wolff <barney@databus.com> wrote:

> I've had what may be the same problem for years, with a USB3 disk, on both
> 10-stable and 12.0-release. I've never found a cause, though power gitches
> might be responsible. As a pragmatic fix I have the backup disk as a zpool
> and run a daemon that simply does a zpool clear if it finds the pool
> unhealthy during the backup. That lets the backup complete every time - the
> pool is set to wait on error, so having the daemon check once a minute
> works with minuscule overhead.
>
> On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 11:31:55PM -0800, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > Cue Twilight Zone theme. For your consideration: This started in
> December
> > when I was running 11.2-STABLE. Starting in December, when I try to
> backup
> > my laptop to a USB drive, it periodically dropped off-line (disconnected)
> > and immediately reconnected. This was originally using rsync. It seemed
> > fairly random and, eventually I got a successful backup. After I upgraded
> > to 12.0, it was much worse and I could no longer get a clean rsync.
> >
> > I assumed that the drive was failing and swapped it for an identical one,
> > re-partitioned, and used dd to copy each partition. The same thing
> > happened, but I noticed that it seemed to happen when the system was a
> bit
> > active. I then shutdown X and tried with nothing else running. It ran
> for a
> > few minutes until I did a sync from a different login while the dd was
> > running. Boom. Disk disconnected again.
> >
> > I finally got an almost complete backup of /usr. I had about 1-2 GB lest
> > when it happened again. I suspect that some background operation
> (periodic
> > sync?) triggered it again.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > Here is my system info: Lenovo T520 now running FreeBSD 12.0-STABLE
> r342788
> > and GENERIC config except SCHED_4BSD. System is completely stable except
> > for the USB disk dropping off-line. Disk is a 2TB WD My Passport. It is a
> > USB 3.0 drive,but plugged intoa 2.0 port. (The T520 has no 3.0
> capability.
> >
> > Has anyone seen anything like this? Any ideas? I am REALLY nervous
> running
> > without a backup.

I have now confirmed that the dd runs with no issues when run in
stand-alone mode. As long as the system makes no other disk access, it
appears that the disk runs fine.  I will drop back to single-user and dd my
media (mostly music including music videos) later today and my 600 GB bulk
data disk overnight tonight. At about an hour per 100 gig, it will take a
while. I expect all to runs cleanly and I wish I had a USB3 port on this
system!
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com