Date:      Fri, 28 Nov 2003 00:56:02 -0800
From:      Rishi Chopra <rchopra@cal.berkeley.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problem Booting (Bad Super Block)

I've started having problems on my FreeBSD box; I've installed FreeBSD
on this system at least 5 times before without any problems.

This time, the installation took many attempts, and the following error
message occurs when I attempt to boot up:

/dev/da0s1a:  BAD SUPER BLOCK:  VALUES IN SUPER BLOCK DISAGREE WITH
THOSE IN FIRST ALTERNATE
/dev/da0s1a:  UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY:  RUN fsck MANUALLY

Automatic file system check then fail, the boot process aborts, and the
system starts in single user mode.

How can I fix this error so that the machine boots normally?  I am
unable to run fsck from the prompt by just typing 'fsck'....