Date:      Sun, 2 May 2004 08:07:19 +0800 (CST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Stephen=20Liu?= <satimis@yahoo.com>
To:        Joshua Lokken <joshua@twobirds.us>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Starting Gnome problem

Hi Joshua,

Tks for your response.

> > Each time login either as root or as user to start
>
> Really no reason to run a gnome-session (or other X
> session) as root.

Yes, I just tested whether it worked for root

> > GNOME.  It returns to GUI login.  Starting KDE has
> no
> > problem.
>
> What do the logs say?  What do the Gnome docs say?

No complaint, just returning to GUI login screen after
starting.

> > (Remark: it worked previously)
>
> Previous to what?

Previously Gnome worked without problem.  I have not
login Gnome for about 10 days after I made a mistake
applying 'make deinstall' to remove 'automake-1.5,1'.
After starting I noticed that it started removing
files which I need.  I stopped it by closing the
Konsole window.  Now I have automake-1.7.5_1
installed.

B.R.
Stephen