Date:      Thu, 13 Dec 2001 08:14:57 +0000
From:      Hiten Pandya <hitmaster2k@yahoo.com>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.org, tlambert2@mindspring.com, grog@FreeBSD.org, phk@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: IBM suing (was: RMS Suing was [SUGGESTION] - JFS for FreeBSD)

Hello,

People, my apologies, I am only 15 years old (15 1/2 technically),
i haven't been to IBM even to buy a mouse.  But the laws of
business and competence are same in any part of universe. :-)
(get it.. albert einstein.. :-)

I would say that, arguing about what IBM likes and dislikes is not
really the approach of solving the problem, as how i think accord.
to my 'blunt' mentality. :-)

The real way to solve this problem is:

IBM has release JFS code under the 'General Public License'. What
we have to do is ask this question internally to IBM, which Greg
might do that for us, if possible; and then we see what the JFS
Team from IBM's views are about this.

If they think that porting JFS to FreeBSD is a waste of time and
energy, because of the licensing issues, than we can take an
alternate approach to 'crash recovery' problems and journalling,

example: A project called UFS2, which would be our target for
improving current UFS code.

But if they say 'Yes' or are positive that something can be worked
out legally, or according to the license(s), than we can go on
and start our project called 'JFS4BSD', and get things sorted that
way.

If we get positive results by September 2002, that JFS code has
been ported in its entirety without affecting FreeBSD or the
Licensing terms in any manner of way, than we can possibly,
merge it (under src/gnu or something) to FreeBSD.

In a nutshell: We should ask IBM JFS (Core) Team, and see what
they say; We Start the Project || UFS2.

If you would like my notes on JFS4BSD (porting), please let me
know offlist about why i have thought of porting JFS to FreeBSD.

Thank You,
=Hiten
=<hiten@uk.FreeBSD.org>