Date:      Tue, 29 Apr 2003 10:29:49 -0700
From:      Johnson David <DavidJohnson@Siemens.com>
To:        Jan Stary <stare@ns.arachne.cz>, freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernel optimized for Athlon XP 1800+

On Monday 28 April 2003 11:35 pm, Jan Stary wrote:

> Anyway; it's an Athlon CPU, and when compiling my custom kernel, I
> couldn't find any option more specific then CPU_I686 (also said
> ATHLON_SSE_HACK). I only want to make sure that it really gets
> optimized for my Athlon (so far, all ports compile with
> -mcpu=pentiumpro).

Those CPU settings for the kernel are not for optimization. They're for
accessing functionality. If you run dmesg and look near the top, you'll
find that FreeBSD kernel is detecting your CPU as a "686-class CPU"
regardless. The kernel is not optimized because it's just too close to
the metal. Optimize it too much and it will break every time gcc
changes its optimizer ever so slightly.

On the plus side, you can edit /etc/make.conf to optimize for the
Athlon. This will apply to buildworld (not recommended) and building
ports. See the handbook for complete information.

David