Date:      Mon, 7 Apr 1997 13:26:29 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: on the subject of changes to -RELEASEs...

> > How can this scheme cause Robert Withrow's AMD/NIS "eval" changes
> > to /etc/sysconfig and /etc/rc to work on my machine?
>
> Let's qualify "this" here, as you are still lumping the two sets together.
>
> If you are taking your 2.2.1 sources and patching them to -STABLE,
> you upgrade /etc/ like anyone else with source does.

Contestant #1:	That would be "By hand" for an hour, Bob...
Bob:		Ab-So-LUTE-Ly Right!

> If you are applying a binary upgrade set, then perhaps you don't get
> it.  You're not losing there, and your system won't mysteriously
> explode.  The sceme isn't N-complete, but it's a shitload better
> than what we have now, which is _nothing_.

What we have now is "make world"...

> > The soloution is known and long-standing, it's just never been
> > adopted because of the /var and rc.d changes being "too SysV-like"
> > (ie: NIH).
>
> This has nothing particularly to do with the issue at hand, and last
> time it was brought up it wasn't NIH but nobody doing it that was the
> issue.

???

Is this true?  It's not how I remember it...  are you saying that if
I modified init for rc.d style operation and run states, that the
change in operation would be acceptable for integration?

> You are detracting from a practically achievable solution by claiming to
> advocate a solution that is not workable within the current constraints.

So modify the constraints.  8-).

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org