Date:      Mon, 08 Dec 2003 09:17:58 +0800
From:      Khairil Yusof <kaeru@streamyx.com>
To:        Jeff Roberson <jroberson@chesapeake.net>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ULE and current.

--dDRMvlgZJXvWKvBx

On Sun, Dec 07, 2003 at 08:30:13AM -0500, Jeff Roberson wrote:

> of feedback while running ULE.  For anyone else, if your workload is
> either improved or hindered, I'd appreciate a mail with the a description
> of your workload, your hardware, behavior with ULE, and behavior with
> 4BSD.

Haven't been running ULE for a while, because I was till having slight
sticky mouse problems. This is no longer the case when I tried it again
yesterday.

However as reported by Sean nice processes (+20) are not behaving
nicely. With a niced -j2 make kernel in the background, my keyboard
interactivity is badly affected (mouse is not affected however). I am
not however experiencing any problems with sound. Usage is mainly for
general desktop/development use.

Repeating this test with 4BSD, overall interactivity feels slightly
slower, no problems with keyboard, and most importantly non-niced
processes are not being affected much by the nice +20 kernel build.

hardware: dual p3-450
workload: general gnome desktop + kernel build (niced -20)
other   : libkse threading as default

Even with nice problem, the overall improved interactivity and
non-sticky mouse makes ULE better by default for my usage now.=20

--dDRMvlgZJXvWKvBx

--dDRMvlgZJXvWKvBx--