Date:      Sat, 29 Jan 2000 02:48:47 -0800
From:      "Jay Krell" <jay.krell@cornell.edu>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   "too many files open"?

Has anyone seen a BSD ~3.4 install where

1) building /usr/ports/devel/codecrusader is amazingly slow
    The system is a 450MHz Pentium II with 128megs; I didn't
    notice this on a 200MHz Pentium Pro with 128megs
2) trying to do something like concurrently build codecrusader
    and the kernel (or maybe it was only make depend on the kernel)
    produces the error "too many open files" upon which basically
    nothing works (until a reboot) -- running top reports that
    /usr/lib/termmap.so.2 doesn't exist, running ls reports "too many
    open files in system", and so does ps, dmesg

My system had been slightly wacky (in this order on disk):
  2gig fat
  256meg swap (order might be reversed with next)
  one large / partition, no seperate /usr, 20gig+
  no seperate /var or /

but I put it "back" to
  2gig fat
  256meg swap (order might be reversed with next)
  256meg /
  the rest (20gig+) /usr
  no seperate /var

The system "mostly works", I built a bunch of ports, all the X servers,
ran X I think at least once.

I've used a somewhat stripped down kernel (mainly just no ISA network
cards or SCSI), but I've also had these problems with kernel.GENERIC.

My previous BSD machine (200MHz Pentium Pro) started with 3.2 or 3.3
and was cvsupped just beyond 3.4 and had none of these problems...or, it
had these problems either right before I got rid of it, or when I moved its
disk to a new machine, or not at all.

I'm inclined to start over (I have config files and /usr/ports/distfiles
backed up
on the 2gig fat) with 3.2 or 3.3.

I've had about two kernel panics in the past few days, which previously
I'd never had.

The installation is only a few days old.

Basically, the only good info I have is the error message and the behavior
that follows it.

Thanks,
 - Jay