Date:      Sat, 22 May 2004 22:50:37 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        M Prabhanjan <mahidasp@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Installation error

M Prabhanjan wrote:
> I am unable to install FreeBSD on a PC that has 4GB disk space.
> I am trying to install from a CD that I bought sometime back.
> In the installation's Choose Distributions menu, I choose to install
> X-Developer and X-Kern-Developer distributions.
>
> I get the following error message during the installation:
> "Write failure on transfer! (wrote -1 bytes of 240640 bytes)
>          [ Press enter to  continue ] "
> On pressing enter, I get the following message:
>     "User Confirmation Requested
> Unable to transfer the scontrib distribution from acd0c.
> Do you want to try to retrieve it again?"
>
> Is this due to lack of disk space (4GB) or bad sectors in the hard disk?

If you switch to the interactive shell and issue "df -h", it will tell you
how much space it used.

I've only seen this particular error when there was a hardware problem,
however.  I may be remembering wrong, but I seem to remember a cheap CD-ROM
plugged into the same chain as the HDD causing this.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies