Date:      Sun, 30 Dec 2001 10:33:17 +0100
From:      Rogier Steehouder <r.j.s@gmx.net>
To:        FreeBSD-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can I rename root?

On 29-12-2001 15:45 (+0100), Rogier Steehouder wrote:
> A simple question: Can I rename root?
>
> I already renamed toor: no problem. Do any programs rely on the name
> 'root' being available or is it prefectly safe to use vipw and rename it
> to 'master' or 'admin'.

I only got the advise: Don't. iThanks for the advise, but since noone
knew any programs explicitly, I did it anyway.

Besides the user and group databases the following files mention root:
/etc/aliases		I had already redirected root to my regular user:
			no problem
/etc/crontab		Replaced 'root' with 'admin'
/etc/ftpusers		Not critical, but added 'admin'
/etc/gettytab		User for autologin
/etc/inetd		Don't use it
/etc/login.access	Small change
/etc/login.conf		Has a special entry for root
/etc/rc			Changed 'chown root:wheel' in 'chown 0:0'
			(Why isn't it in the first place?)
/etc/security		Don't use it
/etc/syslog		Small change
/usr/local/etc/postfix/postfix-script
			Some minor changes
/usr/local/etc/webmin/...
			Starts some daemons as root

My daily security script finds no problems. X runs. I'd say it works
(for now).

With kind regards, Rogier Steehouder

--
/ \                  r.j.s@gmx.net                  //  \