Date:      Mon, 19 Apr 1999 22:35:09 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Daniel Ortmann <ortmann@sparc.isl.net>
To:        gjohnson@nola.srrc.usda.gov (Glenn Johnson)
Cc:        reg@shale.csir.co.za, scrappy@hub.org, handy@lambic.physics.montana.edu, des@flood.ping.uio.no, obrien@NUXI.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATTENTION PLEASE:  g77 in base system.

> On Fri, Apr 09, 1999 at 03:52:58PM +0200, Jeremy Lea wrote:
> Many people don't seem to understand that FreeBSD can be used for
> workstations as well as servers and Fortran is *essential* on a
> scientific/engineering workstation.

Absolutely correct.  Some up-and-coming IBM simulation ports require
Fortran categorically.

It's tough answering questions like "FreeB... what?  Is that like Linux?"

Without a STANDARD system Fortran compiler an operating system is
unlikely to be taken seriously by ANY large engineering company.

We could, however, do without "fortune".  :-)

--
Daniel Ortmann       IBM Circuit Technology
2414 30 av NW, #D    E315, bldg 040-2