Date:      Wed, 20 Mar 1996 11:24:52 -0800
From:      Scott Blachowicz <scott@statsci.com>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Subject:   Re: perl4

J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de> wrote:

> > By the way, which is inherantly broken when executed as any sort of
> > script.  It needs to be a shell builtin or it needs to die.

> Huh?  #!/bin/sh, #!/bin/csh aren't shell builtins either.  In fact, all
> these scripts are acceptable to execve(2), and the shell won't even
> notice the difference to a binary executable.

I think the point was more that if you define the purpose of 'which' to be
"tell me what would be run if I use this command", then it has to be a
shell builtin in order to find shell-local functions and aliases.

Scott Blachowicz  Ph: 206/283-8802x240   Mathsoft (Data Analysis Products Div)
                                         1700 Westlake Ave N #500
scott@statsci.com                        Seattle, WA USA   98109
Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org