Date:      Sat, 8 Oct 2005 16:44:31 +0200
From:      Kees Plonsz <kees@jeremino.homeunix.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tunefs problem

On Saturday 08 October 2005 16:02, Gunter Wambaugh wrote:
> Look at the output from fsck.  It very clearly tells you that it =20
> found problems, but didn't fix them (probably because the partition =20
> is mounted).  Notice the following lines:
> ** /dev/ad2s1a (NO WRITE)
> and
> CLEAR? no
>=20
> Boot to single user mode and try it again.
>=20
> Also, if you add fsck_y_enable=3D"YES" to rc.conf these should be fixed =
=20
> automatically at boot (IIRC).
>=20
> HTH
>=20
> On Oct 8, 2005, at 2:32 AM, Sasa Stupar wrote:
>=20

It is not fsck that is cousing the trouble but tunefs itself.

=46rom the man-page you can read:

  The tunefs utility cannot be run on an active file system. =20
  To change an active file system, it must
  be downgraded to read-only or unmounted.

So to change the / partition with tunefs, you have to run
another system wich is not using that / partition.
( for instance with the fix-it cdrom )
Or you can, as the manual says, mount it read-only.
I never tried that, but maybe it will work.=20