Date:      Sun, 3 Jun 2001 20:57:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Chuck Rouillard <chuckr@opus.sandiegoca.ncr.com>
To:        Drew Tomlinson <drewt@writeme.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Serial Console Questions

On Sun, 3 Jun 2001, Drew Tomlinson wrote:

> Is there a way to increase the speed of my serial console from the
> default of 9600 without recompiling the kernel?  I checked the handbook
> and read about adding a few lines to /etc/make.conf.  Then it said to
> recompile the "boot blocks" but did not say how to do so.  So how do I
> just recompile the boot blocks?
>
> Also, the had book talked about creating /boot.config and adding an "-h"
> option.  And it also talked about adding "set console=comconsole" in
> /boot/loader.conf.  What is the difference between the two ways of doing
> it?  I think I would like to have my serial console available as early
> in the boot process as possible.  What is the best way?
[snip]

I believe this will work for you as long as you use
sio0 (spelled COM1 by some people). Set:

    `BOOT_COMCONSOLE_SPEED=<SPEED_YOU_WANT>'

in /etc/make.conf, where <SPEED_YOU_WANT> is something
like 38400, 57600, or 115200. Then recompile and install
the boot blocks as:

    # cd /usr/src/sys/boot/i386/boot2
    # make
    # make install

Edit /etc/ttys for the correct speed and term-type. For
example:

    ttyd0  "/usr/libexec/getty std.115200" vt220  on secure

.cr