Date:      Sun, 3 Aug 1997 18:55:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        "Justin M. Seger" <jseger@freebsd.scds.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tk, perl, etc... in the src tree

On Sun, 3 Aug 1997, Justin M. Seger wrote:

> Here's a suggestion...  I know it's not ideal for those who are rebuilding
> their systems from sources, but it would at least help out other users.
>
> Install an entry in /var/db/pkg for parts of the base system like perl, tk, or
> any other software that people may not want on their systems. When it's time to
> upgrade the software, or just delete it permanently, all people have to do is a
> pkg_delete
>
> Any thoughts?

I dunno.  Most of the ports committers run current, I think.  That means
they recompile their systems a lot, and that reinstalls tcl a lot.  I'm
not sure just how good the move to stable is for ports, if it leaves all
the ports committers behind.  Who knows, maybe there are enough ports
committers running stable.  I don't think so, but I haven't done a tally,
either.

I think it's kind of a gordian knot.  Jordan wants a neat sysadmin tool,
or maybe I should say installer that doubles as a sysadmin tool.  He's
clearly right there, but a good tool would have a good UI behind it, and
we can't get X folded into the core without a very bloody palace coup
(which I want NO part of).  Jordan then picks a tool that's heavily tied
into ports, and has the other feature of being extremely version-unstable.
Sounds like a scenario to sell headache pills.  Toss in some bloatist
versus anti-bloatist rhetoric, and I guess there's no good fix.  Certainly
what we have is bad, but where to go to?

I think maybe I'm beginning to lean towards the way that SYSV used to be
sold, in parts.  It wasn't a great thing either, tho.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |