Date:      Mon, 21 Oct 2002 23:55:17 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Danny Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: malloc

Danny Braniss wrote:
> > What a lame program...
> >
> > If this program is indicative of your real-world work-load, you can
> > optimize a lot by getting better programmers.
> >
> > If it is not indicative, then forget about it.
>
> i wish i could :-)

This is a memory overcommit architecture.

If you want to avoid the problem, set process limits, such that
the programs you run will not hit hard system limits, and will
hit administrative limitations instead.  This will prevnt the
core dumps you were seeing.  I implied this in my last post; I'm
being very explicit now.

If you want GNU malloc behaviour, then you should install the port
for the GNU allocator, and use it instead of the system allocator,
and you will end up with the same behaviour that your application
has on Linux.

As far as the speed of your FP programs, I suggest looking at
"man fpsetmask", and realize that the Linux defaults fail to comply
with IEEE floating point standards.  Specifically, there was a recent
discussion on the -current list about FP compliance testing, which
demonstrated Linux non-compliance.  I believe the code in that
thread was downloadable from NIST and from UC Berkeley.

-- Terry