Date:      Mon, 8 Mar 1999 14:30:12 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>, tim@scratch.demon.co.uk, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vinum (how to use after creation)

On Sunday,  7 March 1999 at 10:29:50 -0800, Ludwig Pummer wrote:
> At 04:54 AM 3/7/99 , tim@scratch.demon.co.uk wrote:
>> I have managed to create some vinum drives as follows
>>
>> V usrvol                State: up       Plexes:       1 Size:       4076 MB
>> P usrvol.p0           C State: up       Subdisks:     7 Size:       4076 MB
>> S usrvol.p0.s0          State: up       PO:        0  B Size:        400 MB
>> S usrvol.p0.s1          State: up       PO:      400 MB Size:        600 MB
>> S usrvol.p0.s2          State: up       PO:     1000 MB Size:        426 MB
>> S usrvol.p0.s3          State: up       PO:     1426 MB Size:       1000 MB
>> S usrvol.p0.s4          State: up       PO:     2426 MB Size:       1000 MB
>> S usrvol.p0.s5          State: up       PO:     3426 MB Size:        350 MB
>> S usrvol.p0.s6          State: up       PO:     3776 MB Size:        300 MB
>
> It appears your subdisks are all from the same physical drive. Why would
> you do this? Why not just use one usr.p0.s0 with size of 4076?

I don't see this.  There's nothing in this list that shows the
location of the subdisks, and I assumed he was using a lot of
different relatively small disks to get a large volume.  If they *are*
all on the same disk, of course, it doesn't make sense, and if the
plex were striped, it could cause a terrible loss of performance.

> Also, you don't state which version of FreeBSD you're using. I'm
> using 3.1-STABLE Mar 4 1999. This may matter (but probably won't for
> what we're discussing) because Greg makes changes to vinum in the
> -STABLE source tree.

There's nothing much here which is version dependent.

>> now I am stuck, I do not know how to mount this volume, if thats what I
>> need to do, so that I can transfer my files to their respective
>> locations.
>
> I just did this with my /var and /usr. Make sure that /dev/vinum/usrvol
> exists. Then:
>
> newfs -b 8192 -f 1024 /dev/vinum/usrvol

You'll probably want a -v flag here, or it will complain.  Also, it
should be the raw device:

  # newfs -v /dev/vinum/rusrvol

Without knowing what he wants to use it for, you can't recommend the
8192 byte blocks.

> mkdir /usr2
> mount /dev/vinum/usrvol /usr2
> tar -c -C /usr -f - . | tar -xvp -C /usr2 -f -
>
> To see if it works:
> 1. make sure that your vinum drive is listed in your rc.conf under vinum_drives
> 2. edit your /etc/fstab and add the line for vinum ("/dev/vinum/usrvol
> /usr2 ufs rw 2 2")
> 3. reboot.
> 4. If usr2 came up OK, and you want your vinum usrvol volume to replace
> your /usr, change your fstab by commenting out your existing /usr line and
> changing the usrvol mountpoint to /usr.
>
>> I have read the man pages vinum(4) and vinum(8) as well as
>> http://www.lemis.com/vinum.html , but cannot find how to use once
>> created - I must have missed it somwhere else I am just a thicky.

Well, I thought this (from vinum(4)) would have been adequate:

MAKING FILE SYSTEMS
     Since vinum volumes do not contain partitions, the names do not need to
     conform to the standard rules for naming disk partitions.  For a physical
     disk partition, the last letter of the device name specifies the parti-
     tion identifier (a to h).  vinum volumes need not conform to this conven-
     tion, but if they do not, newfs will complain that it cannot determine
     the partition.  To solve this problem, use the -v flag to newfs.

Greg