Date:      Tue, 25 Feb 2003 05:25:03 +0000
From:      "Maxime Romano" <verbophobe@hotmail.com>
To:        gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Gconf and NFS homedirs

Morning,

Upon startup of a gnome session, gconf complains that it can't lock the file
~/.gconf/%gconf-xml-backend.lock/ior .  So, making sure that gconf isn't
running, I delete that nasty file, and restart gnome.  It seems to really
want to start, but then it outputs hundreds of messages to /var/log/messages
explaining that it can't lock ~/.gconfd/lock/ior, and the whole session goes
haywire.  Once that file is deleted, gconf will start without complaining,
and the session will continue as normal.

I've looked around, and according to http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/
(Look under the "I'm having a lock file problem. What do I do?" heading),
it's caused by my NFS mounted home directory, and that fact that rpc.statd
and rpc.lockd aren't running on both machines.

Now, I first (gasp!) had this problem when I upgraded the client machine to
5.0-rel.  At that time, the rpc processes weren't started on either
machines.  I stuck rpc_statd_enable="YES" and rpc_lockd_enable="YES" in
rc.conf on both machines and everything went back to normal.  Yesterday,
however, I upgraded the server machine from 4.7-rel to 5.0-rel, and that's
when the problem reappeared.  Of course, ps says that both machines are
running both daemons (however, there's one extra rpc.lockd process running
as user "daemon" on both machines.  Normal?).

I've tried everything from deleting my ~/.gconf and ~/.gconfd to recompiling
gconf, but nothing seems to help.  Any pointers?  I'm at a loss.

-Maxime Romano
"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not
put."
	-- Sir Winston Churchill
http://www.jewcrew.org/~verbophobe/