Date:      Sat, 26 Oct 2002 00:34:37 -0400
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   libtool-1.4 upgrade?

I noticed that we're still using libtool-1.3.4 which is quite dated
(December 1999 - almost 3 years old!)

There are many known incompatibilities between libtool-1.3 and
autoconf-2.95, including autoconf's use of cache_file=/dev/null which causes
libtool-1.3.4 to die immediately.

It appears 'ade@freebsd.org' has recently dropped maintainership of the
libtool port, so I'd like to pick up the maintainership of the port and
handle the migration to libtool-1.4.

I'd like to propose the following plan for migrating, which IIRC is similar
to how the migration between autoconf 2.13 and 2.95 was handled.

1) Add a libtool14 port, containing libtool-1.4 (and at a later date,
libtool-1.4.[123]).  This will allow people to test their ports with
libtool14 and submit feedback to me.
2) Once the majority of ports work fine with libtool14, do the repocopy of
'libtool' -> 'libtool13' and 'libtool14' to 'libtool', thus making libtool14
the default.

--
Matt Emmerton