Date:      Fri, 10 Jan 2003 10:35:40 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   /dev/apm: device not configured

Hello All

I'm trying to use apmd on my Thinkpad but I can't seem to figure it out. I
have the support in my kernel:

root:/home/johnnyb > dmesg | grep pm
intpm0: <Intel 82371AB Power management controller> port 0xefa0-0xefaf irq
9 at device 7.3 on pci0
intpm0: I/O mapped efa0
intpm0: intr IRQ 9 enabled revision 0
intpm0: PM I/O mapped ef00

but as you can see, no /dev/apm0 (which I'm expecting to be in dmesg). If
I try to use it, it fails:

johnnyb:~ > apm -l
apm: can't open /dev/apm: Device not configured

Any hints on where I'm going wrong? I have

apmd_enable="YES"

in rc.conf and it doesn't seem to error out at boot time, but it doesn't
work and I can't load it from the command line (same error about the
unconfigured device).

Any hints on how to get this working appreciated!

Thanks - JB

#  John Bleichert
#  http://vonbek.dhs.org/latest.jpg