Date:      Fri, 6 Sep 2002 09:57:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      chk no <chuck@chkno.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        chkno@chkno.net, fgleiser@cactus.fi.uba.ar, m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk, mda99jsc@student.bth.se, robin@damm.ca, syborg@stny.rr.com
Subject:   Re: How do I make my Soundblaster Live! work under FreeBSD?

> > Hi,
> >
> > I am new to FreeBSD, changed to it from Linux.
> > Everything works great, exept that my soundcard just wond work.
> > It is a Soundblaster Live!
> >
> > Can anyone give me some advice?
>
> Add "device pcm" to your kernel config.

How does one switch the SB Live into digital-out mode?  It boots
up in analog-out mode. It works fine if I plug headphones or old
speakers in, but I have nice, expensive speakers that won't emit
sound until it's in digital mode.

(I just convinced the owner of this system to switch from WinDos,
under which they worked fine.  I'm trying to avoid suggesting that
she intenionally downgrade her speakers..)