Date:      Thu, 26 Apr 2001 16:36:09 +0100
From:      Rasputin <rara.rasputin@virgin.net>
To:        James Housley <jim@thehousleys.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPTP and firewalls, can I?

* James Housley <jim@thehousleys.net> [010426 15:08]:

> I have been asked to help solve a problem with a local Non Profit
> company.  They have about 50 machines plus printers and such running
> Win9x on their local network and a single IP with NAT to the internet.
> They have about 15 machines that need PPTP to connect to an external
> inventory/billing company.  They have tried all sorts of other
> solutions.

> I am proposing that they get a block of 64 IPs and give each machine an
> IP.

Speaking as someone who spent a large chunk of the past 3 years applying
for blocks like that for folks like yourself,
I'd like to say that public IPs on a private network are Evil.

Use private address space.
This has the additonal advantage that if NAT fails ,the network
is unreachable.
I can't think of any reason you'd need public IPs there anyway.

Apply for 4 public Ips, which will give you 1 usable
for the front of the firewall and 1 for the router.

ipnat should do the NAT, ipf / ipfw for security.

Do you need PPTP from each client, or just a tunnel from
the firewall to a remote site?

--
Trying to be happy is like trying to build a machine for which the only
specification is that it should run noiselessly.