Date:      Fri, 03 Dec 2004 14:24:02 -0800
From:      Thomas Lippert <tlippert362@earthlink.net>
To:        Thomas Lippert <tlippert362@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: harddisk 2,5" laptop problems

Thomas Lippert wrote:
> Marta Resende wrote:
>
>> not "disk error",  "Read error"
>
> Since you can boot windows try getting the appropriate diagnostics from
> the harddisk manufacturer and running them. If I remember correctly
> "disk error" when i get it is a lack of proper boot sector, read error
> is more likely a problem with the disk. If that is the case backup all
> the data and see if you can return the disk. On second thought depending
>  on how old the disk is you may want to do this before testing. But to
> know that you will need to run the diagnostics.
>
> I am not sure whether to say i hope this is it or not. It would be nice
> if the disk weren't broken. ;)
<<Snip>>

 >>I install the freebsd very well, altough, when i boot, it gives me
 >>"disk >error" immediatly after i turn on the pc.
 >>I think of geometry hdd problems, because it gives me an warning in
 >>the >installation, altough i cant put my BIOS geometry because my
 >>laptop >>phoenix BIOS dont show the disk geometry.
 >>
 >>The disk comes from the shop with XP installed on it, so ... it works
 >>and i need it working quickly, anyone know what the problem is ?
Well this should have been reincluded in you corrected version also.
If it boots XP the disk is probably fine, but if it does not pass the
post test then something is amiss.

I would try looking up the geometry on the manufacturers website and
checking that that is how it is detected. Otherwise if it is a older
bios it may need an overlay or a bios update to use.
please check out http://www.lemis.com/email.html for info on formatting.