Date:      Thu, 30 Jun 2005 14:00:59 +0100
From:      markzero <mark@darklogik.org>
To:        Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52@dial.pipex.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NVIDIA TNT2 woes

--OXfL5xGRrasGEqWY

> Can you use the x.org "nv" driver instead?  I've never really figured=20
> out what the binary driver buys you over the standard one, but then all=
=20
> I do is run X with fvwm2, mainly for software development, so I have=20
> never needed any "fancy" features.  (I've never had a TNT2, but I=20
> believe it's supported).
>=20
> Man nv says under supported cards:
>=20
>          RIVA TNT2             NV5
>=20
> Alternatively, can you just spring for a newer video card?  (I know,=20
> that feels like giving in, but if you don't need the latest, fanciest=20
> thing then there should be something cheapish out there.  Ge4 cards seem=
=20
> to be about ?20, assuming *they* are supported by nvidia of course).
>=20
> Final alternative, downgrade your driver back to what you had.  I=20
> believe there is a "portdowngrade" but have never used it.  You can tell=
=20
> portugrade never to upgrade that port (see HOLD_PKGS or similar in=20
> /etc/pkgtools.conf) and probably keep a copy of the port directory and=20
> driver around "just in case".

Thanks for the suggestions, Alex. I decided to go with the nv driver as
I don't use the glx extensions any more.

I decided to reinstall xorg-libraries as the nvidia drivers fiddle
with them and after tweaking xorg.conf, I seem to be up and running
again.

Cheers,
Mark

--=20
pgp: http://www.darklogik.org/pub/pgp/pgp.txt
B776 43DC 8A5D EAF9 2126 9A67 A7DA 390F DEFF 9dD1

--OXfL5xGRrasGEqWY

--OXfL5xGRrasGEqWY--