Date:      Mon, 09 May 2011 12:34:36 -0400
From:      Robert Fitzpatrick <robert@webtent.org>
To:        Reko Turja <reko.turja@liukuma.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel errors after upgrade from 8.1 to 8.2

On 5/9/2011 12:33 PM, Reko Turja wrote:
>> I updated the ports after the reboot and did a 'portupgrade -af'
>> after the kernel update, restart, etc. I had no issues performing the
>> upgrade according to the handbook and the System State Comparison
>> seems OK...
>
> Did you do the whole
>
> mergemaster -p
> make buildworld
> make buildkernel
> make installkernel
> reboot & test
> make installworld
> mergemaster
>
> sequence?
>
> As you tell about ending the process at reboot, I have a gut feeling
> that your userland is not up to date with kernel and the make
> installworld step is missing...
>
> -Reko

Thanks, I think this may be my problem. I took it the wrong way when the
handbook said this process is complete at the end of section 24.2
meaning the upgrade process is complete. It did say during the process
that the kernel changed and I rebooted with another 'freebsd-update
install' afterward. Didn't realize more processes to follow. I am using
a GENERIC kernel and do not have the source on the disk, of course then
I get...

mx3# mergemaster -p

*** Creating the temporary root environment in /var/tmp/temproot
  *** /var/tmp/temproot ready for use
  *** Creating and populating directory structure in /var/tmp/temproot

cp: /usr/src/etc/master.passwd: No such file or directory

   *** FATAL ERROR: Cannot copy files to the temproot environment

So, I just need to get all the source and then rebuild as you mentioned?

--Robert