Date:      Fri, 14 Aug 1998 12:21:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Feldman <green@zone.syracuse.net>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ELF problems to occur

The transition from a.out to ELF will not be easy; I see some definite
potential hangups:
	gdb - the gdb for a.out will not recognize ELF binaries, and the
gdb for ELF will not recognize the current format of core dumps
	/usr/{X11R6,local}/lib etc. - what will be the new format? Will
there be a /usr/X11R6/lib/{elf,aout} (unlikely) or should all old a.out
shlibs be moves to /usr/lib/aout, and /usr/lib/aout shall also take over
for /usr/lib/compat?Will I have to recompile all my many libraries for ELF
or will objcopy work in all cases? I've had pretty good luck with objcopy,
and if it works very well, I'll go ahead and write a shell script to help
transition libraries.
	crunch, Modula-3, ldconfig, lkms/kernel - are these all going to
be ready? M3 should already be ELF-compilable, crunch should probably
still work, will ldconfig be necessary anymore, or is this just wishful
thinking? I don't see how ldconfig is in its present state ready for ELF.
And supposedly the ELF kernel is bootable nowadays with a few patches; do
lkm's work?

Just some nice things to trip us up!

Cheers,
Brian Feldman