Date:      Sat, 18 Mar 2000 21:26:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        "Steve Bernacki Jr." <steve@navinet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sound on a Dell Latitude CPi R-series

I have a Dell CPi, and was able to get pcm to work by just adding ``device
pcm'' to the kernel config file, without all the bus hints.  This is from
4.0-RELEASE:

pci1: <PCI bus> on pcib1
pci1: <NeoMagic MagicMedia 256AV SVGA controller> at 0.0 irq 11
pcm0: <NeoMagic 256AV> mem 0xfda00000-0xfdafffff,0xfac00000-0xfaffffff irq
5 at device 0.1 on pci1

It appears to work great for me.  The only thing I'd like is an rc.conf
entry to set default mixer settings (or something in /etc/rc.shutdown that
dumps them to a file, and restores them at boot).

On Sat, 18 Mar 2000, Steve Bernacki Jr. wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm attempting to get sound working on my Latitude CPi R laptop.
> According to Windoze, the laptop has a NeoMagic MAgicMedia 256 sound
> chip. However, dmesg doesn't seem to pick this up.  Here's the output of
> pciconf -l:
>
> [snip]
> none0@pci0:7:2: class=0x0c0300 card=0x00000000 chip=0x71128086 rev=0x01
> hdr=0x00
> chip5@pci0:7:3: class=0x068000 card=0x00000000 chip=0x71138086 rev=0x02
> hdr=0x00
> vga0@pci1:0:0:  class=0x030000 card=0x008b1028 chip=0x000610c8 rev=0x00
> hdr=0x00
> none1@pci1:0:1: class=0x040100 card=0x008b1028 chip=0x800610c8 rev=0x00
> hdr=0x00
>
> From previous postings on this subject, it would seem the last entry
> (none1) is the sound card.  Here are the device line I'm using:
>
> device pcm0 at isa? port ? tty irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x0
>
> Windoze sees the card at IRQ 5.
>
> Still, nothing found.  There's no mention of the sound card in the BIOS,
> so it doesn't appear to be anything I can tweak.  I'm running
> 4.0-20000317-STABLE that I downloaded just yesterday.
>
> Has anyone gotten this laptop's sound chip to work?  Thanks for any
> insight you can provide!
>
> -S

  Robert N M Watson