Date:      Fri, 4 Aug 2006 14:13:05 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        User Freebsd <freebsd@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [IMPORTANT] Adaptec no longer supporting iir(4) driver ...

User Freebsd wrote this message on Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 22:44 -0300:
> For those that haven't been following the discussion on this, the iir(4)
> driver in FreeBSD 6.x appears to have a deadlock issue under medium to
> heavy load, where the 'blocked' state just continues to rise until file
> accesses just no longer work ...
>
> So, if you are running a server that is using the iir(4) device driver and
> are considering upgrading to FreeBSD 6.x and beyond, or are looking to
> build a new machine using a device that relies on this driver, do so at
> your own peril ...
>
> Please note that this deadlock issue exists on *both* the ICP Vortex
> cards, *and* the Intel based RAID controllers ...

Have you tried the driver in -current and/or 6.1-R?  Specificly v1.14
and v1.13.2.1 of iir.c that limits the simq to 32 commands?  We are
running w/ this modifications w/o issues on 6.0-R w/ SRCU31A and SRCU42L
cards...  We have a few GDT cards also that I don't believe we are
having any issues with...

Infact, scottl tracked down that change after a bit of proding from me
on behalf of my employer nCircle...  (Though it helped that he was able
to reproduce it in his lab.)...

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579