Date:      Fri, 8 Dec 2000 20:51:21 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Weird /tmp issues

> > If you've done that, then I'd seriously suggest removing the things.
>
> Done and done. I was a bit squeamish about removing /tmp.old, because it
> seems to contain essential files for the running of my X server. But I
> dumped / before proceding.
>
> The sockets were rm'd without any problem. And now /tmp is where I want
> it.
>
> Of course, X still doesn't start. I am still rather troubled that
> X requires certain files to be in /tmp in order to function properly.
> That seems very wrong.

What errors are you receiving when you start X?  You DID go into
single-user mode to move /tmp, right?  I have never heard of so many
problems moving /tmp, and, frankly, there shouldn't be.  I've done it
myself many a time on busy systems and X workstations.... And 90% of my
machines put /tmp on MFS anyway... so it's cleared on reboot. (Like that
ever happens :-)  The other 10% symlink it to /var/tmp, and no machines
have ever had any problems, beyond the occasional large email attachment
filling a sometimes small MFS partition. :-)

Make sure that you:
	o Don't have any open files on /tmp.  Check with fstat(1).
	  i.e.,  # fstat /tmp

	o Stop X, xdm, and any daemons that use /tmp (basically,
	  just about everything :-)

	Better to just boot into single user mode.

	o Execute:
	  # cd /		 # cd /tmp is a _bad_ idea :-)
	  # rm -Rf tmp		 # mv(1) won't unlink the inode
	  # ln -s /var/tmp	 # create the symlink
	  # chmod 1777 /var/tmp  # ..though it should be already

	o And carry on

If X continues to have problems, make sure that:
	o /var/tmp (or whatever) is rwxrwxrwt, owned by root:wheel, and
	  has no file flags set (immutable, for example)
	o The directory is initially empty (to be sure no funny
	  temp files are hanging around that would conflict with X)

If those two points are satisfied, I suggest checking your X configuration
again, and forwarding any startup error messages to the list.  "X doesn't
start" doesn't allow anyone to provide much more information than this :-)
Run your X startup script under script(1) to grab all the stdout/stderr
output that you might otherwise miss.

I don't know exactly WHERE you intend to move /tmp in the last place, but
it couldn't hurt to check the properties of that device to ensure that
everything is working as expected there. If you are doing something more
complex than another BSD file system, ensure that you don't get hung up
that way.  Do some tests of your own on the destination partition.

I've probably reiterated some of what has gone before, but perhaps in my
detail I have identified a contingency that hasn't yet been checked.

I _am_ joining the thread a bit late, so if I missed something important
in the earlier messages which I only skimmed, let me know.

> > > Christopher Farley
> >
> > Ok, I can't resist - I get asked what I working with Dana Carvey is
> > like regularly. Do you get asked what it's like being dead?
>
> Oh yes. All the time. At least, in my case, I've got the name of a
> *dead* SNL star. When he was alive people would constantly ask "Are you
> that guy in the van... down by THE RIVER?" Now most people any

:-)  I should be so lucky... I just share a first'n'last
name with several thousand other humans...

- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Network Administrator, Accounts

  #106-380 3120 8th St E - Saskatoon, SK - S7H 0W2

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-664-1161   Saskatoon