Date:      Mon, 10 Jun 2002 22:18:54 +0200
From:      chrisp@belgacom.net
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATA Atapi Cdrom Problems

> The 52x AOpen CD-952E/AKH and an AOpen CD-956E/AKH both suffer
> READ_BIG failures on FreeBSD installation.

Indeed ... AOpen, but others too, so let's not blame AOpen :-).

I have a CD-Rewriter (Philips) (master) and a reader (AOpen 52X/AKH) (slave)
on the same ATA channel.  The problem occured with both drives.

I reported similar problems to this list a while ago, along with a
traceback: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=457725+468533+/usr/local/www/db/text/2002/freebsd-stable/20020505.freebsd-stable

relevant lines from dmesg:

acd0: CD-RW <R/RW 12x8x32> at ata1-master PIO4
acd1: CDROM <CD-ROM 52X/AKH> at ata1-slave PIO4

Using WDMA2 mode (hw.ata.atapi_dma=1 in /boot/loader.conf) works around it.
IMHO, this problem might prevent 4.6 to be installed on many, many systems.