Date:      Sat, 22 Jul 2000 00:20:52 -0500
From:      "Mark A. Hummel" <mhumm@ispchannel.com>
To:        Glenn Johnson <glennpj@bayouhome.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Can't start xdm on boot ???

Glenn,

My fault, I should've provided more information.  I'm running FBSD 4.0
Stable.  You're right, according to the FAQ, the changeover occurred with
ver 3.2.  My comments are below.  I'm trying it now.

Mark

Glenn Johnson wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 21, 2000 at 07:02:34PM -0500, Mark A. Hummel wrote:
>
> > I've followed the instructions in FAQ (How do I start XDM on boot?)
> > to the letter and I still can't get to xdm on boot.  What am I doing
> > wrong?
>
> First, what version of FreeBSD are you using? The tty to use could be
> different from what you read. I am not sure at what version the change
> over occurred but older versions use ttyv3 and newer versions use ttyv8
>
> > I used the /etc/ttys method by adding:
> >
> > xdm
>
> So you should have a line in /etc/ttys that reads:
> ttyv8   "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm   on  secure

Yes I do

> The line is there by default, you uncomment it and change the off to on.

Okay I'll try this.

> > Then, in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers I added:
> >
> > :0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X vt4
>
> This does not look right. Remove the vt4.

According to the FAQ instructions there is a chance of a conflict between
xdm and getty.  One way to avoid this is to add the vt number in the
Xservers file.  I think I should've added vt9 since the X server counts the
vty from one, while FBSD kernel numbers the vty from zero.