Date:      Sat, 18 Jul 1998 15:54:22 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Unsetting exported environment variables?

If you try to run SuperProbe with the variable DISPLAY set, it will
refuse to run.  That's OK with the C shell, you just enter:

% unsetenv DISPLAY
% /usr/X11R6/bin/SuperProbe

Unfortunately, to my knowledge there's no similar function in the
Bourne shell.  You can set the variable to the null string:

# DISPLAY=
# /usr/X11R6/bin/SuperProbe
SuperProbe: Cannot be run while an X server is running
SuperProbe: If an X server is not running, unset $DISPLAY and try again
SuperProbe: Cannot open video

Can anybody tell me how to do this in the Bourne shell?  The only
thing I can think of is to start a C shell for this operation.

Greg