Date:      Sat, 13 May 2000 10:02:06 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
To:        Brennan W Stehling <brennan@offwhite.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 5.0 already?

On 5/13/00, 7:43:09 AM, Brennan W Stehling <brennan@offwhite.net> wrote =

regarding 5.0 already?:

> How is FreeBSD moving along so quickly?  One month I am running 3.0R=20
and a
> few months later we are past 3.4 and on to 4.0 STABLE and finally we
> have 5.0 out there already before a 4.1 STABLE exists.

> I am confused.  What is going on with all these branches?  Is 5.0 the
> FreeBSD/BSDi merge?  Is there a major technology leap with each=20
version
> which demands such widely spread version numbers?

> My flawed upgrade to 4.0 a while back left me feeling FreeBSD is going=
=20
too

www.sncalumni.com

> Microsoft: Will you get a macro virus today?

Dear Brennan,
this is the strength of Open Source ;-)))

Seriously, if you want a stable environment you can choose 3.4-S, or=20
the new 4-STABLE line, which, apart from (very) minor issues,seems to=20
perform quite well.=20

BTW, I run all three versions, ehem, when -CURRENT boots of course :-)

If you look at the matter the other way round, well, you'll see how=20
many years it takes e.g. M$ to introduce similar changes=20
(=3Dimprovements) ...=20

"Panta rei" (ie everything changes) should probably be FreeBSD's=20
motto, and this IS a good thing.

Best regards,
Salvo