Date:      Wed, 1 Sep 1999 20:47:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@phone.net>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to mount a CD.........in 250 easy steps

On Thu, 26 Aug 1999, Andrew Reilly wrote:
:->This is one of the reasons that I only ever use MS-DOS-formatted
:->floppies: there's no need to mount them, and all the mucking
:->around that that entails.  I just use mtools to talk to them.

Hmmph. I consider "mtools" to be mucking about - confusion about drive
letters, format conversions, etc. Personally, I only use floppies for
moving data around, so I just I just added:

/dev/fd0c		/floppy		msdos	rw,noauto	0	0

to /etc/fstab, and floppies are no harder to deal with than cdroms:
"mount /floppy" and it's there. If I need to use FFS-formatted
floppies, I'll add another line.

:->Perhaps mtools, or a similar toolset that knew how to read and
:->write off-line FFS filesystems, could be hooked to run as mountable
:->file system, amd/nfs-style.

FFS? That wouldn't help with the cdrom problem that started this.  But
having to know another flag to mount (to get the fs right) seems much
saner than having to know yet another set of commands to deal with an
fs.

	<mike