Date:      Tue, 5 Oct 1999 17:22:07 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Michael Borowiec <mikebo@Mcs.Net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   3.3-R: if_lnc driver problems

Greetings -
I have installed FBSD 3.3-R on an HP Kayak XU, and have run into some
interesting problems with the AMD PCNet-Fast (if_lnc) driver. This
machine has an HP combo card (PN #5183-2725 or #5064-3616) with
NCR SCSI and AMD PCNet-Fast chipsets.

While booting up, I get the following kernel messages:
# ....
# ncr0: <ncr 53c875 fast 20 wide SCSI> rev 0x26 int a irq 9 on pci2.4.0
# lnc1: <PCNet/PCI Ethernet adapter> rev 0x25 int a irq 9 on pci2.5.0
# ....
# Additional routing options: tcp extentions=NO TCP keepalive=YES
# routing daemons:.
# Mounting NFS filesystems
# lnc1: Device timeout -- Resetting

Once booted, the machine constantly spits out thousands of these:
lnc1: Heartbeat error -- SQE test failed.

I resorted to commenting this out in if_lnc.c because it was such a
bother. However, I think there should be a better way? Anyone?

Also, every few minutes I'll get one of these:
lnc1: Transmit of packet failed after 16 attempts -- TDR = 0.

The machine is online, and except for some strange NFS problems
(which I think are unrelated) the networking seems fine.
I'd be happy to help debug this.
Regards,
- Mike