Date:      Fri, 24 Aug 2001 10:12:20 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <wash@wananchi.com>
To:        FBSD-Q <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        will@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: OT:Kde2.2

--hQiwHBbRI9kgIhsi

* Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com> [20010823 21:57]: writing on the subject =
'Re: OT:Kde2.2'
|=20
| Odhiambo Washington wrote:
| >=20
| > * Gerard Samuel <trini0@optonline.net> [20010823 19:33]: writing on the=
 subject 'Re: OT:Kde2.2'
| > | I have kde 2.2 from ports with 4.3-stable, and the screen saver works.
| > | Im using the matrix one that came with it.  What Im upset about is I
| > | have to ctrl-alt-backspace to kill x when I lock the screen, and I ca=
nt
| > | get kdemultimedia's cd player to work, keeps crashing.  Other than th=
at,
| > | its ok...
| >=20
| > Yes. If you do
| >=20
| > cd /usr/local/bin
| >=20
| > chmod 4555 *.kss
| > chmod 4555 kcheckpass
| >=20
| > You will just unlock the screen by entering the password.
| >=20
| > Maybe you should first make a note of the perms on *.kss just in case y=
ou
| > want to revert back.
| >=20
| > The CD player also asks me to vrf that I have access to /dev/rmatcd0 or
| > whatever...
|=20
| One of the system installs you had to have done in the past suggested that
| you to create a link from your cd device to /dev/cdrom and then chmod it =
| 755. It was far enough in the past that I can't remember where I received=
 it
| during an install. If you have some old kscd configs around, you may also
| have to configure the cddb data entry.=20
|=20
| I don't have any idea where this ancient stuff is coming from. You may ha=
ve
| also some old crufty stuff in your .kde user files because I expected it =
| complain about /dev/cdrom. I looked on the machine I am running behind th=
is
| one and I noticed I had kscd configured to use /dev/acd0c. It has a probl=
em
| with the cddb database. At least, I had the link right.
|=20
| I happen to like xmcd better than kscd. It also didn't have a problem
| getting cddb entries for the CDs I tested. Each of the cd players has a s=
et
| of brain-dead points. The best one will be which dumb features hit you the
| least.
|=20
| Kent

The _sad_ thing is that when you run as root all these things work
perfectly. Now who is that 'danda-' who wants to run X as root when they
are on a public network?=20

Isn't there a case for the maintainer to get these things right (yes, I
know it's his personal time he invests on this and gets nothing in return
from us) for us the first time, please?

Thank you all for those who responded.

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington
Wananchi Online Ltd.,

It is so soon that I am done for, I wonder what I was begun for.=20
-Epitaph, Cheltenham Churchyard=20

--hQiwHBbRI9kgIhsi

--hQiwHBbRI9kgIhsi--