Date:      Mon, 15 May 2000 18:12:49 +1000
From:      Jonathan Michaels <jon@welearn.com.au>
To:        David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: curious about memory report usingfreebsd v3.3-release

On Sun, May 14, 2000 at 11:22:46AM -0400, David Gilbert wrote:

> I had quite a few problems with that SMC "tx" network card under 3.2
> and 3.3.  We eventually ditched them.   We found that we had to

'ouch', i have a smc 9432tx in this machine as well.

> ifconfig down then ifconfig up them every so often, or their
> performance would decrease rapidly.

mine just ground to a halt that that was it .. no more go no
more do anything. but, whern taken back to supplier it worked a
treat in teh ms win nt v3.51 server and several ms win nt v4
workstations .. it was one of my more pedantic days and i want
"proof" it worked and not just one isolated case.

>  This may be fixed in 3.4-STABLE, but I have not checked.

as, one poster said "v3.x is nearly dead", after some thought i
might just as well skip v3.x and go straight to v4 .. thought
thier might be some issues thier as well. ummmm, desisions.

> Really, I'm only trusting rl and fxp drivers right now.  It's not

that is what i thought and so i purchased a intel eepro .. only
to find i got one of teh "new microsoftised ones" with the ake
on lan cable and all that other paraphenalia. thier was some
mention of a 'problem' in teh firmware that make it hard to
have two of these cards on teh same segment.

if its of any value the chipset identifies itself as gd82559.

> scientific, but I have experiences that the de, dc, tx, ep and xl
> drivers can be broken under at least my circumstances.  The dc and de
> drivers are particularly strange.

i've got a couple of old smc etherelite .. the old kind with
jumpers and not much smarts, sounds like these are the best
kind to use, well untill the manufactures get thier silicon
sorted out. or the drivers writers can sort out the strangeses
that hide beneath the clear and glistening surface of teh
gallium arsenide coating.

with thakns to all of wrote .. still no wiser but got some
interesting ideas about how modern day bioses work or not as
the case may be.

on the same track, i just made a set of v4-release bootstrap
diskettes and discovered this same (strange to me) behaviour on
my much older and untill today alsway (freebsd and bios)
reporting 640k/64mb .. now it reports as 639k/64mb, from
memory freebsd v2.2.5-release which this machine has run for
some 4 years now, reports 640kb/64mb. on a slightly different
note, qnx v4.24 also reports 640kb/64mb.

to reiterate, this is just a curiousity, but one i would like
an explanation for .. if one can be had that is.

warm regards

jonathan