Date:      Wed, 14 Apr 1999 20:12:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
Cc:        rb@gid.co.uk (Bob Bishop), current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   experimental patch avail (was Re: NFS, blocks of NULLs in files)

    WARNING!!!! --------------------------------- WARNING!!!!

    Do not use this patch unless you are willing to lose whole
    filesystems!

    WARNING!!!! --------------------------------- WARNING!!!!
    WARNING!!!! --------------------------------- WARNING!!!!
    WARNING!!!! --------------------------------- WARNING!!!!

    This patch is currently under test.  To use it, undo any previously patches
    you have made and then apply.

	http://www.backplane.com/FreeBSD4/

    The patch is rather complex.  It rips out much of the piecemeal ranging
    code in the VFS/BIO system that had previously been added to support
    piecemeal reads and writes.   Why?  Because the crap doesn't work.  We
    will eventually fix it all ( with a scheme that doesn't require hooks in
    all the VFS/BIO routines! ).

    For now, though, the idea is to first make NFS work properly.  We will
    worry about optimizing it later.

    Since this patch modifies code that effects UFS as well as NFS, please
    please please do *not* run it on any machine containing data critical to
    you.

    As I said, this patch has not been tested a huge amount yet, so there are
    probably still bugs.  It passed all my preliminary tests ( that check for
    various known NFS bugs ), and I was able to build the kernel.  I'm building
    the world right now.

						-Matt