Date:      Mon, 25 Oct 1999 07:05:36 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "John E. Hein" <jhein@timing.com>
To:        Tony Jago <T.Jago@its.uq.edu.au>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Very Poor Samba -> Win9x performance [more]

Tony Jago wrote at 18:33 +1000 on Oct 25:
 >  Further to my problem with slow smbclient "put"'s.
 >
 >  1. FreeBSD 3.[23] machine -> Win98  slow (9k per second).
 >  2. Solaris machine        -> Win98  fast (500+k per second).
 >  3. FreeBSD 2.2.7 machine  -> Win98  fast (500+k per second).
 >
 >  Just incase I was doing something insane, I installed a brand new
 >  3.3-RELEASE machine running the GENERIC kernel, installed samba from the
 >  ports and did a smbclient "put" - still very slow performance.

Make sure you've CVSup'd the latest samba port.  On 9/24 patch-ah
 was added which makes a mod to lib/util_sock.c to resolve this
 problem on FreeBSD machines:

Here's the log description of the patch.  It seems to explain
 exactly your problem, but you didn't give enough info about your
 samba port installation to tell whether you got this patch or not.

----- start log msg for patch-ah -----
revision 1.1
date: 1999/09/24 04:29:42;  author: cpiazza;  state: Exp;
Add a patch to fix a problem with very low write speeds with
samba on freebsd.

Following is description made by one of the Samba developers:

"The problem is we switched to using recv() with the MSG_WAITALL flag
instead of read(). This makes Samba faster on most systems. On FreeBSD it
 causes a massive slowdown and I don't know why. To fix it, change
 the definition of MSG_WAITALL to be zero in lib/util_sock.c and
 recompile 2.0.5a. I'm hoping someone from FreeBSD will get back to me
 with some explanation. Regards, Jeremy Allison, Samba Team."

This problem where observed by almost all samba-2.0.5a users and typically
 it led to 10-20x decrease in write speed.

PR:             13894
Submitted by:   Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@altavista.net>
----- end log msg -----