Date:      Wed, 17 Mar 2004 14:56:14 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        Mike Jakubik <mikej@rogers.com>
Cc:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Byte counters reset at ~4GB

On 16-Mar-2004 Mike Jakubik wrote:

> Got it. In just curious though... realistically, how big of an impact on
> performance is this on a modern CPU? Is it not simply the original 32bit
> calculation x 2?

Please, just search the mailing list archives.  We've already had this
discussion in depth.  It is not the original 32-bit calculation
times two, because in order to keep it atomic on a 32-bit machine you
have to use locking or a LOCK prefix or something expensive like that.

Now, you tenors and altos over there: this is not your cue to repeat
verse 3 where you sing all about how maybe atomicity might not be
needed in this case.  You already sang that one, and it's in the
archives, remember?  In fact, we've already sung the whole song, and
the audience doesn't want to hear it again.  They've got the CD, and
it's called The Mailing List Archives.  OK?  OK!

John (still working on that Bill Paul imitation)