Date:      Sat, 6 Sep 2003 16:42:51 +0500
From:      thor@telecom.sarkor.uz (Timur)
To:        Hendrik Hasenbein <hhasenbe@techfak.uni-bielefeld.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VT82C686/A/B AC'97 Audio Codec

On Sat, Sep 06, 2003 at 01:14:12PM +0200, Hendrik Hasenbein wrote:
> Timur wrote:
> >Hi!
> >
> >I have integrated via82c686 soundcard..  I am new to freebsd (coming
> >from linux), and wishing to use it instead windows at work.  The sound
> >card in Windows XP is shown as AC97 codec, and works well.
> >
> >Unfortunately, I have no luck with making it work under freebsd.  What I
> >am trying to do is to load via82c686 driver..  it loads, but the kernel
> >does not writes any messages about detected card (it with CMI8xxx card
> >at home)..
>
> I only added 'device pcm' to the kernel, so kldload pcm should work as root.
>
> Hendrik

What do you mean by adding 'device pcm' to kernel? I have a kernel that
comes with 4.8-STABLE, i did not recompile it.
grep pcm /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/LINT shows two lines:
device          pcm0 at isa? irq 10 drq 1 flags 0x0
device          pcm

I try to do 'kldload snd_pcm'.  Silence (the kernel is supposed to write
something like PCM... on the first console, am I right?)

mpg123 fails, says can't open /dev/dsp

Also, I try to 'kldload snd_via82c686', no results..

Timur.