Date:      Fri, 4 Apr 2003 15:54:32 -0800
From:      "Drew Tomlinson" <drew@mykitchentable.net>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ICH4 Sound Support?

I've been fighting with getting sound working on FBSD 5.0-RELEASE-p7.  Can
someone tell me if the pcm driver is supposed to work with ICH4 integrated
sound on an Intel motherboard?  I read in the 5.0 release notes that there
is rudimentary support.  However when I attempt to play an mp3 file, the
quality is very bad.  Lots of static and hissing.  If I play an audio CD, it
plays just fine.

Here's the output of 'cat /dev/sndstat' if that's of help:

farmer> cat /dev/sndstat
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
Installed devices:
pcm0: <Intel 82801DB (ICH4)> at io 0xc800, 0xcc40 irq 11 bufsz 16384
(1p/1r/4v channels duplex default)

Thanks,

Drew