Date:      Mon, 31 May 1999 15:50:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bill Huey <billh@mag.ucsd.edu>
To:        dscheidt@enteract.com (David Scheidt)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel config script

> Inter-UNIX rivalries are one of things that has kept unix healthy for so
> long.  Linux tends to pick up most of the 3L1t3 dudez, who don't know

You must be joking me. Just about every other systems person I've talked
to in past 5 years, (including me) would highly disagree with that citing
that Unix fragementation is the main reason why Unix isn't more successful
commericially. Linux can be cited as the main unifying force propelling
Unix's come back. This of course assumes that one buys into the notion
that NT would obsolete Unix in a few years, which I never did in the first
place.

It's doing so by unifying various fragmented group of people and is the main
movement forcing folks like Apple release their source code publically to
other devs.

This is a very powerfully set of indicator of the Linux phenomenom and it
*must* be respected.

> anything but how to follow a How-To.  I don't have a problem with letting

HOW-TOs are useful and I person don't see why FreeBSD folks still talk down
to Linux folks. Even kernel tweekers that I know find those things useable.

> someone else deal with annoying lusers.  When they get a clue, and realize
> that FreeBSD has substantial advantages over Linux, then we can deal with
> them.  It would be nice if there were some migration documentation.  (And

Well, the claim above seems overstated to me at this time and won't be clear
until I monitor various kernel discussions and explore/test FreeBSD. Linux
and FreeBSD have more similarities than differences from what I can tell.
This debate seems to artificially create a difference between the 2 kernels
that I don't really see existing except possibly with kernel memory allocation
and management. The differences seem to be created out of something emotionally
reactive than concretely tangible.

That's what I firmly think at this time and is subject to change as I experience
the FreeBSD community.

Like with any technology, that'll just take time to fix like any other problem
that has a competent group maintaining it.

> yes, that *is* an offer.  Who do I talk to?) Someone used to have a .sig
> that summed the difference between Linux and *BSD pretty nicely: "Linux is
> for people that hate Microsoft.  FreeBSD is for people who love Unix."

You probably don't know this but that attitude above isn't helpful for FreeBSD
nor the Linux folks. Contrary to the derogatory point of view that FreeBSD have
of Linux folks, Linux folks are *not* terribly stupid and see Linux as a valued
and legitimate variant of Unix. I certainly see Linux in this way, as happy Linux
user exploring the merits of FreeBSD for the first time.

> David Scheidt

bill