Date:      Fri, 10 Aug 2001 15:59:04 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Matt of the Long Red Hair <mattp@conundrum.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xfree86-4 port & Matrox G450

> Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 01:05:57 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Matt of the Long Red Hair <mattp@conundrum.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
>   This message is in MIME format.  The first part should be readable text,
>   while the remaining parts are likely unreadable without MIME-aware tools.
>   Send mail to mime@docserver.cac.washington.edu for more info.
>
> --0-1786217093-997333557=:5324
>

> I'm trying to upgrade my system to a G450 card, and I'm having some difficulty
> getting the XFree port to go.  From what I can find in the list archives, it
> sounds as if 4.1.0 should just work, but I'm afriad in my case it isn't.
>
> My problems start right with xf86cfg, the configuration utility.  It starts up
> an X server which seems to work alright (far better than 4.0.2 did) but
> xf86cfg itself bombs right after it starts up twm (also after it starts to
> draw the system layout).
>
> My basic system config is as follows:
>    AMD K6-2/450 on AOpen AX59-Pro
>    128MB
>    mix of SCSI and IDE drives
>    Matrox G450 (two headed card, only trying to run with one head for now)
>

> I've included the output xf86cfg sends to the terminal.  Anyone have any ideas
> on this?

Matt,

I've had variable success with xf86cfg. It seems to fail rather often.

Have you tried xf86config? It's not graphical, but it seems reliable.

One change I did have to make for 4.1 was to set the mouse protocol to
"Auto".

Section "InputDevice"

# Identifier and driver

    Identifier  "Mouse1"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option "Protocol"    "auto"
    Option "Device"      "/dev/mouse"

Did you install XFree86-4 from ports or from the package? Did you have
a previous 3.3.6 installation?

I recommend using the port, even though it takes longer. It gives you
an xc directory (which is occasionally handy) and builds on exactly
your configuration.

If you had a prior 3.3.6 running, this may be the problem as it may
cause conflicts with 4.1. I removed 3.3.6 before installing 4.1 and it
worked well.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)