Date:      Mon, 04 Jun 2012 10:22:42 +0400
From:      Alexander Pyhalov <alp@rsu.ru>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why Are You NOT Using FreeBSD?

Hello.
I wish we could use FreeBSD as basic platform, but it is not possible.

We met several problems which led to mass migration to Debian.
First of all, hardware support. EMC multipath was not supported by
FreeBSD 8, and it was a necessary thing in our environment. We tried to
use custom patches, but  met wired boot0 behavior - it randomly hung. We
were interested in VNET jails to have separate network stack for a jail,
but they were not stable enough. And the last thing - there were no
means of resource control to prevent malfunctioning jail to influence
badly the whole system.

So, we moved our infrastructure to OpenVZ/Debian and got all this plus
possibility of live migration for containers and easy binary package
management.
--
Best regards,
Alexander Pyhalov,