Date:      Sat, 01 Aug 1998 12:44:48 -0700
From:      "Joseph M. Scott" <jmscott@ainet.com>
To:        Nathan Dorfman <nathan@fcc.net>, Scott <scott@SchematiX.net>
Cc:        Andrew Bromage <bromage@queens.unimelb.edu.au>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CD writers as a backup medium

>A 90 meter DAT tape can hold up to 4 gigs per tape. You can get them
>for about $9 a piece, according to people who buy them. You'll need
>6 CDs to back up 4 gigs on CD, that's $6-9. Use the DAT tape twice
>and you've already gotten your money's worth. A good CD-R drive is
>$400 (SCSI). How much is a SCSI DAT drive, anyone? Plus, I'm not
>even mentioning that you can buy 120m tapes for only a few dollars
>more.
>
>> > --
>> >   Nathan Dorfman            |    E-mail:  nathan@fcc.net
>> >   Frontline Communications  |  Front desk: 914-623-8553:

	We recently sat down and talked about which tape drive to go with.  The DAT if I recall are faster, the tapes are cheaper ( around $9 or $10 sounds right I thing, compared to $30 to $40 for most other types ) but the DAT drives usually run over $700 if I recall.  For the machines that we were buying that added more cost than we could justify.  This is all is US dollars.

Joseph Scott
jmscott@ainet.com