Date:      Thu, 15 Oct 1998 10:50:16 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        ada@bsd.org, Jamie Bowden <jamie@itribe.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Two Y chromosomes [ Was: Java-based Crypto Decoder Ring ...]

On Thursday, 15 October 1998 at 10:43:05 +1000, Ada wrote:
>> On Wed, 7 Oct 1998, Gregory Sutter wrote:
>>> Well, there are also issues with people having multiples of the X
>>> chromosome, too.  So a person could have XXY or even XXXY.  Or more
>>> X's, but people with a large number of additional chromosomes don't
>>> usually survive long.  (Most aren't born alive.)  Someone else
>>> reminded me that these (overmany X and overmany Y chromosomes) are
>>> known as Turner's and Klinefelter's syndromes, but I've forgotten
>>> which is which.
>> Multi Y is Klinefelter's.  Did research on it for a biology class once.
>> Double Y's tend to be aggressive, and have varying degrees of mental
>> retardation (including none).  The genitalia are undersized, and tend to
>> be only nominally functional.  The research I did at the time (1984)
>> showed that %30 of a random sampling of violent criminals in the prison
>> system were YY's.  The suggestion at the time was that improper cell
>> splits early in gestation were the cause.
>
> At least 1 X chromosome is necessary to survive.
> As a general rule, the more sex chromosomes, the taller the person.
>
> Turner's Syndrome (X0) sufferers tend to be short, have webbing on the neck
> and between the hands, infertile, appear to be female but do not menstruate
> and have vestigial dysfunctional ovaries.  They also have strangely bent
> elbows (which bend at a typical angle of 30-40 degrees)

Some of this matches Susanna quite well.  They had the webbing on the
neck removed at birth (and presumably between the fingers).  I didn't
examine her ovaries, though I'd heard of problems in that are, but I
didn't notice anything wrong with her elbows.  I'd been told she was
XXY, but they definitely mentioned Turner's syndrome.  What do you
mean by X0?  That's what cat breeders use to describe tortiseshells.

> Kleinefelter's Syndrome (XXY) causes phenotypical maleness.  Individuals
> are tall, with long arms and legs, and often suffer from gynaecomastia
> (breast development) and infertility.

Hmm.  That's not Susanna.

Greg